Monday, April 20, 2015

Chuckles From the Chicken Coop-Back in Business

We are back in business! Day 1:
 
 

Eight little Rhode Island Red chicks are growing in our temperate basement, awaiting transfer to the coop. Here is their home for the next few weeks:


They already have some wing feathers. They have the sweetest little chirping sounds and they hush and listen attentively when I give them my, "Chick, chick!"  This is how I call to them when I approach the chicken coop or gather them after free ranging. Train them up in the way of the farm and they will not wander.

It's been awhile since we have had farm fresh eggs - and yes, there is a difference.  The taste is richer and there is pride in having raised them ourselves. A tree fell on our outdoor chicken yard that is attached to the coop.  At the time, a predator had recently taken our last chicken, so we waited till spring to rebuild.  Pictures soon! 

I look forward to fresh eggs just a short walk from the kitchen, a place to throw my fruit and veggie scraps, chicken manure blended with pine shavings from the coop as mulch and fertilizer for my gardens, and the antics of "my girls."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let's start the conversation. Let me know your thoughts, opinions and questions.