Thursday, April 24, 2014

What's In My Garden Now? Not much!

What a slow spring!  My lettuce mix and spinach are about 1 inch tall and my sugar snap peas are about 4 inches tall.  Red potatoes are coming up nicely, at about 6 inches, perhaps because most of their activity is subterranean where the temps are more steady.  The beet seeds are just beginning to sprout.

When our real spring does arrive, however, I am ready with yellow squash, zucchini, banana pepper, cucumber, and cantaloupe seedlings in the greenhouse.  Today, I bought tomato plants and am keeping them in the greenhouse as morning temps have still been in the 40s.  I also plan to start Brussels sprouts and beefsteak tomato plants from seed.

I went out on a limb and put the green and red pepper starts in the ground today.  I plant them and then put a black 1 to 3 gallon pot with the bottom cut out around the plant, to radiate the warmth back to the plant for now and to hold water when I have to hand water in late summer.

Some asparagus tips are emerging and that will be a great garden fresh side very soon.  Making half our plate fruits and veggies starts NOW with garden planning and planting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let's start the conversation. Let me know your thoughts, opinions and questions.