Wednesday, January 8, 2014

School Daze-Sizzling School Lunches

I always say, "I need another cookbook like I need a hole in the head."  But this one is for work so I can justify it, right?  Besides, it's free!

This one is from the Indiana school nutrition office, entitled "Sizzling School Lunches".  Take a look here.  It has color pictures and very basic, thorough instructions.  It is not as complete as the Vermont cookbook mentioned in yesterday's blog, as that had Nutrition Information and meal pattern equivalents, essential for school menu planning.
Here’s a great “shovel ready” idea I liked from our colleagues in Indiana.  We currently garnish some of our fruit cups with whipped topping.  Chef Cyndie has a Strawberry Yogurt Dip that is simply strawberry yogurt and jellied cranberry sauce in a 1 to 1 ratio.  Easy.  Tasty.  Colorful.  Healthier.  I’ll try it!

There is also a recipe for Vegetarian Enchiladas that I think we need to try.
The recipes are all for quantity food production, but for you folks at home, you might get some ideas for substitutions in recipes you currently make.  So, yes, try this at home!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let's start the conversation. Let me know your thoughts, opinions and questions.