Monday, December 9, 2013

Thanksgiving - What Was On the Menu?

I always plan lots of sides to enjoy with the leftover turkey.

Turkey - Butterball of course! In 23 years of marriage, I have never made a bad or dry turkey when I've stuck with Butterball.
Stuffing - Kitchen Sink Stuffing made by my husband - it has just about everything - raisins, walnuts, celery, onion, water chestnuts, mushrooms
Gravy - from the turkey drippings (and I can make some GOOD gravy!)
Creamed Onions - the little cocktail ones from a jar - family fave for generations
Green Bean Casserole - yep, with the fried onions on top, but made with frozen not canned green beans to make it a little healthier (very little)
Cranberry Sauce - canned, nothing fancy
Collards - fresh, from our garden
Corn Casserole
Hot Artichoke Dip - appetizer
Pumpkin Pie and Apple Pie - yes, homemade

And what did I do with the leftovers and the turkey carcass?
1.  Turkey Noodle Casserole
2.  Turkey Curry over Rice
3.  Turkey Pot Pie
4.  Two quarts of turkey broth for the freezer for soup at a later date
5.  Turkey Sandwiches (white meat, Miracle Whip, wheat bread, a little pepper and lettuce - yum!)

We also had some great eating over the long Thanksgiving weekend with rabbit stew (in the Crockpot - easy!) and fresh venison (bacon wrapped venison steaks) from my son's hunting successes.

Now . . . on to Christmas dinner!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let's start the conversation. Let me know your thoughts, opinions and questions.