Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Hobby Farm Life Abundance

I usually blog about what our hobby farm garden provides, but lately we've had some good eats from not just the flora but the fauna.

My son shot and cleaned a rabbit and I made a delicious, fall-off-the-bone stew in the Crock Pot with a simple soy sauce and onion gravy.  It does taste like chicken.

He also shot a deer and we have a lot of venison in the freezer and we had some delicious bacon wrapped venison steaks, hot off the broiler. I make a fabulous venison stew (secret ingredients:  juniper berries and Marsala wine).  It he has continued success with hunting, I may be in the market for a meat grinder.

The five chickens are laying about three eggs a day.  One of the two who weren't laying is now laying a couple of times a week, enough to earn her board. The other one may be heading towards the Crock Pot.

Thanksgiving was a turkey and Christmas dinner will be a ham.  For the Protein Group, I think we have variety covered!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let's start the conversation. Let me know your thoughts, opinions and questions.