Sunday, October 6, 2013

Late Season Tomatoes

At the same time that I had not-so-perfect tomatoes coming out of the garden, I was talking to one of our cafeteria managers about what we should make for this year's Fall farmer's market cooking demo.  She is a real chef, has great ideas and inspiration, and does a wonderful demo twice a year with me at the market.  I do the nutrition spiel and she does the cooking spiel - great team! 

Anyway, she proposed a roasted tomato & garlic soup.  So I decided to give it try.  You won't find many recipes on F4 (too many other blogs for that) and I tend to cook kind of Rachel Ray style - a little of this and a little of that, but here goes.

I trimmed the tomatoes of splits, holes, green parts and imperfections.  Those are perfect for the chickens - they go ga-ga over anything reddish.  Diced the toms and added chopped garlic (also from my garden, harvested in mid-summer and dried in a colander).  Roasted on a sheet pan in the convection oven for about 15-20 minutes until dry.  They shrink up remarkably.  Then I had to go out of town for 2 days so I put them in the fridge.  This evening, I added chopped fresh basil leaves (from my mom's garden), blenderized them in my Ninja, transferred to a pot, added half and half (yes, a Registered Dietitian who uses half and half) and then added skim milk (there does that make you feel better?) to get the desired consistency.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Wow - really good.  Let the harvest determine the menu.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, let's start the conversation. Let me know your thoughts, opinions and questions.